Who doesn’t want more money? Here’s a site that gives a list of most wanted goals that people have declared they want to make for themselves. Take a look at 43 Things. Some common items seen involve acquiring more money. Things like getting out of debt. Becoming financially independent. Work because I like to, not because I have to. Save money. Travel. The problem is over 65% of Americans do not have a net worth of $100,000. In Canada the average is $200,000.
Everybody wants to have more, do more, be more but where do you turn to for advice? For some the goal is trying to get out of debt. Others are people who have already arrived at the destination of affluence.
Thomas J Stanley in the book The Millionaire Mind interviewed over 733 deca millionaires; those with a net worth of over 10 million. His survey asked what factors explain their economic success. They opened up and shared some inside secrets to their actions and lifestyles. Read this book and get a behind the scenes look into their lives.
I’ve given Stanley’s books to many clients. No surprise here! They report dramatic changes in their thinking and feeling about money, careers and possessions. The book inspires with a message of hope that if others can do it so can you. Many of these principles have worked for me too.
Nurture these 5 skills in yourself. You will reap the rewards. Being a Christian, I’ve added what I think, are the Biblical truths behind each of the top 5 secret success factors of millionaires. The principle and what I think of as the proof!
1. Integrity- being honest with all people. The will to do what is right, as defined by God, regardless of personal cost.
The integrity of the upright guides them, but the unfaithful are destroyed by their duplicity.
2. Discipline – applying self control. Doing what you don’t want to do now so you can do what you want to do later.
A man without self-control is like a city broken into and left without walls.
Proverbs 25:28 ESV
3. Social Skills- getting along with people. Forgive, accept, serve, and encourage one another.
If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.
4. A supportive spouse. Humbly submitting and supporting one another in love out of gratitude for what Christ has done for us.
Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.
5. Hard work – more than most people. Figure out what you are good at and do it until you become great at those two or three things. Resolve to only do what only you can do. Subcontract out the rest.
Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men.
The largest proportions of millionaires are entrepreneurs. This is why I am so excited about small business and encouraging others to pursue self-employment. It’s how I’ve achieved similar success in life.
Read or listen to The Millionaire Mind for yourself. It will inspire and motivate you with a message of hope that you can do it too. Start living these success factors in your life. Envision using these secrets success factors to transform your life and become a millionaire.
Attitude: Humbly ponder your attitude towards money.
Question: What steps will you take to develop these skills?